The SPIRAL Collective is a volunteer full-spectrum reproductive options and support group comprised of doulas, birth-workers, and passionate reproductive justice advocates based in the Twin Cities area of Minnesota, occupied Dakota territories.
SPIRAL Collective provides free, compassionate, non-judgmental support to all pregnancy outcomes. We are committed to eliminating barriers to abortion access with the intention of honoring bodily autonomy & collective liberation. We accomplish this by providing practical abortion support & community-based education. To promote reproductive justice, we center the experiences of marginalized communities in our leadership and our programming. For us, reproductive justice means all people have the means necessary to access the information, resources, & emotional, physical, social, & political support they need, to be who they are and create & sustain the types of families & communities they desire.
We envision a world in which people of all identities & families of all forms have access to caring, compassionate, non-judgmental, evidence-based support & care in their decisions to become pregnant, to maintain a pregnancy with the intent to parent, to maintain a pregnancy with the intent of pursuing an adoption plan, or to have an abortion. We envision this same standard of care being delivered to folks experiencing any stage of pregnancy loss or barriers to pregnancy/family-creation.
- We provide free, confidential, trauma-informed, sex/body-positive & community-based support in a variety of settings including but not limited to clinics, hospitals, & homes.
- We provide all options pregnancy counseling, referrals, & trainings in the community as well as at Family Tree Clinic through our on-going clinic partnership to train & support their patient educators.
- We are focusing primarily on abortion doula** work in & out of clinics & hospitals at this time. We maintain an active clinic partnership with Planned Parenthood & hope to partner with more local clinics & community organizations in the future.
- For termination procedures, we provide transportation assistance on as needed.
- We provide loss doula support for clients experiencing fetal demise or fetal anomaly.
- We recognize & value existing individuals & organizations that ground sexual health and/or birthwork in reproductive justice & we refer people outside of SPIRAL for birth doula support as needed.
- We advocate for societal & cultural shifts around abortion stigma (especially within birthwork) & seek to end the silencing of individuals & communities regarding their bodies, genders, sexualities, experiences, & desires.
- We support people by listening to them, trusting them, encouraging them to trust themselves, & honoring their experiences.
- We continually seek on-going training, & skill-share opportunities for ourselves & our communities.
**You may have heard this work referred to as “doula” work or this role referred to as “a doula”. While some of us identify as doulas, some of us do not, & we recognize that doula is a racially charged & gendered word. We wish to break down those barriers, questions & expand its meaning, & do not wish to be held to the constraints of the word. While it’s origin is not super clear, it’s typically said to come from the Ancient Greek word δούλη meaning “female slave” or “woman who serves”. That makes us feel complicated feelings.