The SPIRAL Collective is a volunteer full-spectrum reproductive options and support group comprised of doulas, birth-workers, and passionate reproductive justice advocates based in the Twin Cities area of Minnesota, occupied Dakota territories.
SPIRAL Collective provides free, compassionate, affirming support for all family planning and pregnancy experiences. In particular, we are committed to eliminating barriers to abortion access by honoring bodily autonomy and collective liberation. We accomplish this by providing trauma-informed practical abortion support and through community-based education and organizing. To promote reproductive justice, we center the experiences of marginalized communities in our leadership and our programming. For us, reproductive justice means all people have the means necessary to access the information, resources, and emotional, physical, social, and political support they need, to be who they are and create and sustain the types of families and communities they desire.
We envision a world in which people and families of all identities, especially those who are most marginalized and disenfranchised, have access to compassionate, affirming, and competent support and care in their family planning and pregnancy-related experiences. We envision communities having the skills, knowledge, and resources to provide this care and support for themselves. We envision a world in which the care that we receive honors our sacred selves and our innate abilities to create, heal, and restore. We are working towards a world in which our shared experiences build well-rooted connections and acceptance, instead of isolation or shame.
- We provide free, confidential, trauma-informed, sex/body-positive & community-based support in a variety of settings including but not limited to clinics, hospitals, & homes.
- We provide all options pregnancy counseling, referrals, & trainings in the community as well as at Family Tree Clinic through our on-going clinic partnership to train & support their patient educators.
- We are focusing primarily on abortion doula** work in & out of clinics & hospitals at this time. We maintain an active clinic partnership with Planned Parenthood & hope to partner with more local clinics & community organizations in the future.
- For termination procedures, we provide transportation assistance on as needed.
- We provide loss doula support for clients experiencing fetal demise or fetal anomaly.
- We recognize & value existing individuals & organizations that ground sexual health and/or birthwork in reproductive justice & we refer people outside of SPIRAL for birth doula support as needed.
- We advocate for societal & cultural shifts around abortion stigma (especially within birthwork) & seek to end the silencing of individuals & communities regarding their bodies, genders, sexualities, experiences, & desires.
- We support people by listening to them, trusting them, encouraging them to trust themselves, & honoring their experiences.
- We continually seek on-going training, & skill-share opportunities for ourselves & our communities.
**You may have heard this work referred to as “doula” work or this role referred to as “a doula”. While some of us identify as doulas, some of us do not, & we recognize that doula is a racially charged & gendered word. We wish to break down those barriers, questions & expand its meaning, & do not wish to be held to the constraints of the word. While it’s origin is not super clear, it’s typically said to come from the Ancient Greek word δούλη meaning “female slave” or “woman who serves”. That makes us feel complicated feelings.